We're a six person homeschooling family--complete with one 62 pound "puppy" and two grumpy part-Siamese cats-- on a cross-country pilgrimmage to a new brand new life (in the dead of winter). Come along for the ride! Is there a Starbucks near here?

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

It IS a Grand Canyon!






We left our snowy Williams, AZ campsite and drove about an hour north to The Grand Canyon. We stopped at the National Geographic Visitor's Center outside of the park and saw an IMAX film about the history of the Grand Canyon. It rated 5 stars by the family. (I thought it was slightly corny, although informative.)

Okay...

In every photo or movie that I've ever seen of The Grand Canyon, it looks sunny, reddish, and, well, if not hot, at least warm. And I always thought AZ, in general, was a hot place. Again...IT'S NOT!!!

The Grand Canyon was magnificent. Everything you'd expect (although I've established it's at a high altitude and, therefore, chilly.) Gorgeous beyond belief.

I approached my first view of the Canyon in awe. I actually teared up a little, realizing that I'm forty years old and this is the first (and who knows) maybe the last time I'll ever see this creation of staggering natural beauty.

The Boy walked right up next me and spit right over the edge.

Perspective.

3 Comments:

Blogger Junosmom said...

I'm 45 and I've never been there either. Dh has been all over the US and so it is going to take an act of God to get us there. Again, you are inspiring me :-)

Thursday, January 26, 2006 6:21:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the way you call Mitch "The Boy." And in keeping with his genetic heritage he spits when in the mood.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 10:59:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We saw the Grand Canyon when we were moving here... it is beautiful!! I can just picture Mitch spitting over the side... xD

Friday, January 27, 2006 1:10:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home